The STUC condemns the lack of democracy in Turkey and calls:
• for the release from prison of political opponents, such as the MPs and co-leaders of the HDP, Selahattin Demirtas and Figen Yuksekdag, journalists and campaigners for women’s freedom and human rights;
• on the Turkish Government to reinstate teachers, academic staff and public servants, who have been dismissed from their jobs and to allow them full access to public services and the same rights as other citizens;
• on the Turkish Government to stop the persecution of ‘Academics for Peace’ and ensure signatories are protected against public threats; • on the UK and Scottish Governments to demand the reinstatement of democratic freedoms in Turkey;
• for a cessation of the talks relating to Turkey joining the EU;
• for an end to all British arms sales to Turkey, particularly in the context of Turkish weapons being used against the Turkish people;
• on the UK Government to use Turkey’s membership of NATO as a way of pressing for reforms to allow democratic engagement in Turkey; and
• for an end to any deals with Turkey where the rights of refugees are used as bargaining chips.